Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? 10 pointers for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest developing fields of medication. Never before have many scientific advancements and brand-new strategies emerged in such a short period of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, offers countless individuals the opportunity to minimize or eliminate their need for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio ads are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the fast and painless method to fix vision, but stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Before you choose to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist ensure that you will enjoy with your results?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an educated patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a nationwide study by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a medical professional by getting recommendations from other medical professionals or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be deceived by expensive ads about a specific laser. Select the physician, not the laser. Discover who will actually do your treatment, then ask about that doctor's qualifications (e.g., board accreditation, special training).
3. Pick a physician who has actually done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a physician does not know can harm you.
Ask for info on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgical treatment problem rates. If your physician won't tell you, find another one.
5. Ask what procedures are required to avoid infection. Search for a center with a sterile or dust-free operating room. Make sure that disposable parts are not recycled. Firmly insist that your eye is thoroughly sterilized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized before your eye laser surgery to remove the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Beware of advertisements pushing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgical treatment is as great as a discount parachute. The possible cost savings are not worth the threat of receiving less than professional care!
7. Expect to see effectively after LASIK, however do not expect to see completely. Each patient gets a slightly different outcome. The very best cosmetic surgeon in the world cannot guarantee 20/20 vision. Just like any eye laser surgery, results are as individual as each client. Beware of any doctor who promises 20/20 vision.
8. If you seem like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. Go somewhere else. You're not purchasing a cars and truck; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. If your level of nearsightedness is more than browse around these guys -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably offer much better vision than LASIK. Think about waiting until the new lenses are available. Ask your physician about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, don't lose sight of the advantages: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has enhanced the vision of millions of individuals all over the world.