All set to Lose Your Glasses? Ten pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never ever prior to have so numerous new strategies and clinical advancements emerged in such a brief amount of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, provides millions of people the chance to lower or remove their need for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgery as the quick and painless method to correct vision, but stories are likewise appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you opt to go under the beam, what can you do to help ensure that you will more than happy with your outcomes?
The essential to safe surgery in any field of medication is an informed client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting recommendations from other medical professionals or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be fooled by expensive ads about a specific laser. Choose the physician, not the laser.
3. Choose a physician who has actually done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a doctor doesn't know can hurt you.
4. Request information on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery problem rates. Find another one if your doctor will not news inform you. For leading cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask exactly what procedures are required to prevent infection. Try to find a center with a dust-free or sterilized operating space. Ensure that non reusable parts are not reused. Insist that your eye is completely decontaminated, and insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized before your eye laser surgery to eliminate the danger of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Beware of advertisements pushing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgical treatment is as great as a discount rate parachute.
7. Anticipate to see effectively after LASIK, however do not expect to see perfectly. Each patient gets a slightly different outcome. The finest cosmetic surgeon in the world cannot ensure 20/20 vision. Just like any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as private as each client. Beware of any physician who guarantees 20/20 vision.
8. If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you most likely are. Go somewhere else. You're not buying a automobile; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. Implantable lenses will probably use better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Consider waiting till the new lenses are available. Ask your medical professional about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, don't forget the benefits: for many people, a lifetime of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has enhanced the eyesight of countless individuals around the globe.